Thursday, April 7, 2011

How I Helped Someone Once

This is a difficult topic because most people don't really see how they've assisted someone through their own eyes, they don't even become aware that they have helped until someone else says something to them. I hope I have helped people but for the moment I can only think of one that I for sure assisted.
In my job I help the special needs kids with things they can not do themselves and that sometimes includes feeding them. One day we were having a goodbye party for a little deaf boy and one of the moms brought in chocolate cake. The boy I was helping had limited mobility in his body so was helping him eat his cake. For some reason someone had given me a plastic fork even though we usually feed them with metal utensils. As this boy was eating he got really excited about his cake and bit down through the plastic breaking off the tongs of the fork. I realized that if he pushed the tongs back with his tongue he would end up swallowing the sharp bits and probably choke on them. So naturally I did what I had to do and nearly jammed my hand down that poor boys throat. He, of course, was confused and scared so he went lock jaw with my fingers still in his mouth. Luckily I had grabbed the little plastic pieces so he wouldn't be swallowing them but now my fingers were stuck and he was unable to release his jaw. The longer I had my fingers in there the harder he bit. In order to let go I had to release the fork tongs but that would put him in risk of swallowing the plastic so I held on and tried not to scream because the other students become agitated very easily. One of the other aides massaged his jaw in the hopes that it would help release his muscles. However he was still very frightened and didn't know what was going on so he bit down harder, and I felt my fingers snap. Eventually the other aide was successful at getting his jaw unlocked and I quickly withdrew my fingers. I was very grateful that the boy was not dead as was his grandmother who threw her arms around me and started crying, I was crying to but that was more towards the fact that my fingers were stuck at an unnatural angle. However, miraculously enough, a few minutes later my fingers stopped bleeding and by the end of the day my fingers had also almost completely straightened out . They were bruised pretty bad but by the next day even that was gone. I think that was Gods way of saying "good job for not letting that poor boy suffer a horrible and gruesome death."
So yeah that was a time I helped someone to not die. Yay me!!

2 comments:

  1. So the other day I was feeling Seth's teeth, and he bit down and seemed to lock on. I massaged his jaw and it helped! If you hadn't told me this story, I might be fingerless by now. So mark this as a time you helped TWO people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know you are humble enough to have trouble remembering only one time of the many.

    ReplyDelete